Request a call back

Fields marked with an * are required

Are you looking to Teach in Australia?

Whatever your teaching role is, we can help with your Visa to Australia
Follow us on Social Media

Teaching Jobs in Australia

Emigrate to Australia is an independent company based in the UK and is not affiliated with the Australian Government. You should be aware that Australian visas are available from the Australian Government website. We are a MARA registered migration agents and offer visa and immigration services.

Thinking of teaching in Australia?

Australia is popular with UK teachers looking for new challenges in a very different, exciting environment. It offers an attractive lifestyle with an easy cultural transition. As you have arrived at this page you have probably started your research and realised that getting good advice is paramount to a successful application. Apart from being MARA registered agents and members of MIA and Migration Alliance, we are also solicitors – therefore, perfectly placed to negotiate the hurdles of the Australian emigration process.

We have helped many teachers: nursery, primary and secondary, lecturers SEN and educational support staff to achieve their dream of starting a new life in Australia. If you have a PGCE or a full 4 year educational degree and are considering moving to Australia call us on 0207 427 5290 or complete the form on the right.

Teaching Jobs in Australia

Schools vary from large comprehensives to very small rural schools. As in the UK, some are founded by religious organisations. There are state and private schools with non government accounting for a third of all schools and 36% of all teaching staff. Some jobs require teaching across all disciplines. The student to staff ratio is around 12 to 15:1.

There are 4 terms in the academic year with the first term starting late January. Terms last 8 to 12 weeks and the summer break is around 6 weeks. Positions are available throughout the year but the peak time for vacancies starts in late September in readiness for the first term. A school day is generally 9am to 3.30. Australia is currently developing a national curriculum similar to the UK.

Pay is dependent on your experience and the job. There are also salary variations between the territories. Salaries are around the same and slightly higher than the UK (generally between $55K and $100K (Aus Dollars). Though the living costs are considerably lower.

Anyone entering Australia as a skilled migrant will have a skills assessment. For teaching, this assessment is done by The Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL)

In addition, you will need to register with the local authority of the relevant territory which will have its own recruitment criteria. As a general guide, you will be required to have 3- 4 years’ of tertiary training and a teaching qualification which is recognised by the regulatory body of the territory. There is a criminal record check and a literacy/English language test.

Taking the right path to a successful application is our forte. We are MARA Registered Migration Agents and members of the Migration Alliance. In addition we operate within a highly reputable law firm Taylor Hampton Solicitors. If you are interested in finding out more about how your design qualifications and experience can work for you in Australia give us a call on 020 7427 5290 or complete the form on the right.

Teaching Job Ceilings for Australia

Description Ceiling Value
Early Childhood (Pre-primary School) Teachers 1500
Primary School Teachers 8940
Secondary School Teachers 7980
Special Education Teachers 1140
University Lecturers and Tutors 2400
Vocational Education Teachers 2100
Education Advisers and Reviewers 600
School Principals 1380
Other Education Managers 600
SOL Schedule 1 of Occupations in demand:
  • Early Childhood (Pre-Primary School) Teacher
  • Secondary School Teacher
  • Special Needs Teacher
  • Teacher of the Hearing Impaired
  • Teacher of the Sight Impaired
  • Special Education Teachers nec
Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (CSOL)
Schedule 2
(Please note that if your occupation is on this list you will need a state to sponsor you)
  • Primary School Teacher
  • Middle School Teacher (Aus)
  • Intermediate School Teacher (NZ)
  • University Lecturer (Suitable for the position of Research Associate or Research Fellow in a University)
  • University Tutor
  • Vocational Education Teacher (Non Trades)
  • Vocational Education Teacher (Trades)
  • Education Adviser
  • Education Reviewer
  • Art Teacher (Private Tuition)
  • Dance Teacher (Private Tuition)
  • Drama Teacher (Private Tuition)
  • Music Teacher (Private Tuition)
  • Private Tutors and Teachers nec
  • Teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages

Apply as a teacher to go to Australia

If you are a UK teacher with a PGCE or a full 4 year educational degree interested in making the move to Australia and you need help and advice with the visa process, complete the form below and we will contact you shortly.

Fields marked with an * are required
Share This