Request a call back

Fields marked with an * are required

Here are some popular Trades in Australia

Are you a skilled trade worker looking for a better life in Australia? There are a number of trade occupations on the Australian Skilled Occupation List, from electricians to carpenters and plumbers. Contact us to chat about the Australian Visa process. Call Us on 0207 427 5290 or email us [email protected]

See if you Qualify for an Australian Visa

Are you looking to travel, work or relocate to Australia? Contact us to see if you qualify and how we can help. Please complete the form below and we will contact you shortly.

Fields marked with an * are required

Follow us on Social Media

Trades in Australia

Are you looking to join trades in Australia?

Skilled Electricians, Carpenters, Plumbers, Bricklayers and many other skilled trade workers are in demand in Australia.

If you have work experience in trade occupations, then you may be eligible to apply for an Australian Visa. Most trade occupations are listed on the current Australian Skilled Occupation List

We assist eligible applicants with the entire visa process. We help with a skills assessment, Expression of Interest and visa application. We make your application meets the relevant standards.

We have helped hundreds trade workers, such as plumbers, electricians, carpenters, bricklayers, motor mechanics, welders and many others, to successfully relocate for a better life in Australia.

Working in Australia in Trade Occupation

For the past 50 years Australia has been at the top of the list for people seeking a better quality of life, more space, better climate, outdoor lifestyle and beaches. It offers a complete change with a less daunting cultural shift such as having to learn a new language.

The demand for qualified and skilled trades in Australia varies across the territories and by industry. With employment projected to increase, Technical and Trades services, followed by Construction form the second largest contribution to employment growth.
Employment opportunities vary across the country. Employers based in more rural areas find it harder to fill posts than the cities, hence job opportunities might be greater in those areas.

Salaries also vary across the territories with the highest average annual earnings to be found in Western Australia and the lowest in Tasmania. Salaries should be compared to cost of living and may vary by region.

Trades in Australia – Occupations in Demand

The current list of occupations includes trade and skilled occupations in the following groups:

  • Construction Managers
  • Electrical Engineering Draftspersons and Technicians
  • Telecommunications Technical Specialists
  • Automotive Electricians
  • Motor Mechanics
  • Glaziers
  • Sheetmetal Trades Workers
  • Structural Steel and Welding Trades Workers
  • Metal Fitters and Machinists
  • Precision Metal Trades Workers
  • Panel beaters
  • Bricklayers and Stonemasons
  • Carpenters and Joiners
  • Painting Trades Workers
  • Glaziers
  • Plasterers
  • Wall and Floor Tilers
  • Plumbers
  • Electricians
  • Air-conditioning and Refrigeration Mechanics
  • Electrical Distribution Trades Workers
  • Electronics Trades Workers
  • Chefs
  • Cabinetmakers
  • Boat Builders and Shipwright

To discuss your Australian Migration options, please contact us on 020 7427 5290, email us [email protected] or complete the form on the right and we will contact you.

The Australian Lists of Occupations are reviewed from time to time to address immediate and long-term labour market skills shortages, including shortages in trades in Australia.

The Occupations List consists of two schedules: Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) and Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)

Note there is a separate list of occupations in relation to the  Australian Employer Sponsored Visas. Therefore,if you are offered a job, you need to make sure your occupation is listed on the relevant Skilled Occupation List.


The most popular Visa with work rights for trade occupations includes:

1. SKILLED MIGRANT VISA – this is a points tested Visa. Applicants must be invited to apply. No job offer required.

2. EMPLOYER SPONSORED VISA – this visa is for those with job offers from Australian employers. Employer sponsorship required.

3. WORKING HOLIDAY VISA – this is a 12 months visa for applicants between 18-31 old.

Before you embark on the Australian Migration Visa application process, there are a few factors worth considering, such as:

– check your Visa eligibility.

– check skills assessing requirements.

– which list your occupations appears on.

– do you have sufficient evidence and paperwork.

– do you meet health and character criteria.

– do you have English language skills.

Applicants (including self-employed and sub-contractors) are encouraged to retain/retrieve their full employment documentation as some applications may require a higher level of proof of skilled employment in the nominated occupation. Our agents have been working with the Department of Immigration for many years and are able to advise you what type of documentation is required and suitable to provide with the application.

Working in Australia – licenced trades in Australia

You need a licence to work in certain trade occupations in Australia for example, plumbers, electricians or air-conditioning mechanics. You must obtain a licence from the relevant authority in each Australian State where you intend to work. This might entail completing a Gap Training upon arrival to Australia. Applicants applying under the Skilled Migrant visa pathway may commence their licencing process as part of their visa application process.

When to apply for the Visa?

If you are serious about moving, make enquiries now. Note: Immigration Rules do not stay the same. Your Visa points will change as well as you get older, change jobs, obtain new qualifications and so on.

Most Visas comes with sufficient time to make the move. For example, Skilled Migrant Visa (Permanent) gives applicants 5 years to move permanently.

We will handle the application process for you from start to finish. Taking the right path to a successful application is our forte. We are MARA Registered Migration Agents, members of CILEx and the Migration Institute of Australia.  In addition we are SRA registered UK based law firm. If you are interested in finding out more about your Australian migration and Australian Visa eligibility,  give us a call on 020 7427 5290, email us [email protected]  or complete the form on the right.

Emigrate to Australia is part of Taylor Hampton Solicitors, a SRA regulated law firm based in the UK. We are not part of the Australian Immigration and Border Protection Department. We offer visa advice and assistance with the Australian visa application process.

Share This