Request a call back

Fields marked with an * are required

Do you need a Visa for Nursing Jobs in Australia?

To work in Australia as a Nurse, you need to have:

1. Valid visa with work rights.

2. Valid registration with the Australian Nursing Board (AHPRA).

There is a variety of Australian Visas for Nursing Jobs in Australia. Most nurses who qualified outside Australia must have a degree in nursing. We are a private company and we provide assistance with the Visa application process and sponsorship applications to applicants with job offers in Australia. We do not assist with finding employment in Australia.

Contact us today to discuss your application: [email protected] or call us on 0207 427 5290.

See if you Qualify for an Australian Visa

Are you looking to travel, work or relocate to Australia? Contact us to see if you qualify and how we can help. Please complete the form below and we will contact you shortly.

Fields marked with an * are required

Follow us on Social Media

Visas for Nursing Jobs in Australia





Working in Australia as a Nurse

Australia offers great employment opportunities for Registered Nurses. Australian visa options for registered nurses include the Working Holiday Visa, Employer Sponsorship or Skilled Migrant visa.

Each Visa comes with different criteria applicants must meet in order to apply for and to be granted the Visa. Additionally, there is a limit on how many visas the Australian Government can approve each year which means that registered nurses might not be able to apply for a visa under the chosen pathway. 

To practise in Australia as a Nurse, applicants must be registered with the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Board. Most internationally qualified nurses must have a DEGREE IN NURSING in order to register in Australia. Please check your Australian Nursing Registration requirements here:

We have been handling Australian Visa and Nursing registration applications for many years and we are best placed to assist you with your case. Contact us today to discuss your visa application: [email protected] or call us on 0207 427 5290.

Australian Visa for Nurse

With Employment in the Australian Health Care sector projected to increase by 25% in the next 5 years, many internationally qualified health practitioners look to Emigrate to Australia as a Nurse or Midwife. Nursing & Midwifery occupations currently appear on the Australian Skilled Occupation List , Medium and Long‑term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) and Short‑term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL). 

Whether you are thinking of emigrating to Australia permanently or moving for a couple of years, you need a Visa with work rights. Depending on your personal circumstances your visa options might include:

  1. Australian Skilled Migrant Visa
  2. Employer Sponsored Visa
  3. Working Holiday Visa 
  4. Other Visa with work rights

Each visa has different eligibility criteria and requirements. Contact us to discuss which visa is best for you and how we can help with your application. Please note we are a private law firm and we charge fees for our services: [email protected]  or call on 0207 427 5290.

Nursing jobs in Australia

Australia offers great opportunities for experienced and suitably qualified nursing and healthcare professionals from paediatrics to critical care. The range of roles is huge because of the vastness of the country, its climate, geography and population spread. Yet the culture shock is softened by the similarities in the structure and healthcare practices.
There are around 330,000 nurses working in Australia. Two thirds of nurses are employed in the public sector. Shifts are similar to the UK and are between 8 and 12 hours. Holidays are between 4 and 5 weeks per year. Patient-nurse ratios vary but are between 4:1 and 6:1. Please note that salaries, conditions, hours and patient ratios vary across the country. Like any other employer, Australian employers may have different requirements for nursing jobs in Australia in relation to required years of work experience and/or qualifications or a specific set of skills.
Average weekly earnings for Registered Nurses are AUD$1344 and average weekly hours are 34.6 (Source: Australian Government Job Outlook). Jobs and salaries differ across the country. Salaries might be higher in big metropolitan cities and lower in less popular regional areas.

Australian Nursing Registration

To work in Australia in a medical/healthcare/nursing profession, you must be registered with the Australia Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA). There is only one National Register which means once you have registered you can practice in any State in Australia. The registration process is a separate process which you can complete prior to applying for a visa or once your visa has been approved. This will depend on your personal circumstances and the type of visa you are applying for. 

Registered nurses are required for complete Orientation programs and some might need to sit exams depending on qualification level. Generally, holders of Bachelor of Nursing will not be expected to sit exams.  To read more on registration requirements and how to apply, please visit AHPRA website:



Australian Visa for Nursing Jobs

Nurses and midwives are currently listed on the List of Occupations for the purpose of the Australian General Migration and Employer Sponsored visa applications .

The current Australian Skilled List include the following nursing and midwifery occupations:

  • Nursing Clinical Director
  • Midwife
  • Nurse Practitioner
  • Registered Nurse (Aged Care)
  • Registered Nurse (Child And Family Health)
  • Registered Nurse (Community Health)
  • Registered Nurse (Critical Care And Emergency)
  • Registered Nurse (Developmental Disability)
  • Registered Nurse (Disability And Rehabilitation)
  • Registered Nurse (Medical)
  • Registered Nurse (Medical Practice)
  • Registered Nurse (Mental Health)
  • Registered Nurse (Perioperative)
  • Registered Nurse (Surgical)
  • Registered Nurse (Paediatrics)
  • Registered Nurses (Nec)
  • Nurse Educator (*STSO List)
  • Nurse Researcher (*STSO List)
  • Nurse Manager (*STSOL List)
  • Enrolled Nurse (*STSOL List – Employer sponsored visa only)

You must check your visa eligibility and specific Australian visa criteria before you apply.

Which Visa?

Skilled Migration – this Visa is for applicants wishing to settle in Australia on a long term or permanent basis. This visa comes with great benefits, such as full work rights in any job and for any employer in Australia for the main applicant and spouse/partner. Children can attend public schools and you can enrol for Medicare, Australian Healthcare System. There have been a great demand for the Skilled Migrant visa for the past years amongst nurses and those applications are becoming increasingly challenging. You can read more on Skilled Migration here:

Employer Sponsored Visa – this visa is for applicants who have a job offer and sponsorship from an eligible Australian employer. The Employer sponsored visa can be temporary or permanent. Most employers offer a temporary sponsorship which can be between 1-4 years.  You can read more on the Employer Sponsored Visa here:

Working Holiday Visa – this visa is for applicants under the age of 31 and from eligible country of passport. This is a 12 months visa, which comes with work rights. The Visa condition prevents applicants from working for any one employer for more than 6 months. More on this visa here:

Emigrate to Australia at Taylor Hampton Solicitors offers assistance to eligible Registered Nurses, Midwifes and healthcare professionals with the visa application process. We have over a decade of hands-on experience in handling nursing and Midwifery applications from start to finish which allows us to provide our clients with the very best advice and assistance throughout the application process.

More on Nurses working abroad in our interview with RCN Bulletin:

If you are interested in finding out more about the Australian visa and how we can help, please complete the form on the right, email us: [email protected]  or simply call our London office on 0207 427 5290.

Emigrate to Australia is part of Taylor Hampton Solicitors, a SRA regulated law firm based in the UK. We are not part of the Australian Immigration and Border Protection Department. We offer visa advice and assistance with the Australian visa application process. 

Share This