Follow us on Social Media
Family Visa Australia
The Family Visa for Australia stream is designed for those who have close family in Australia who are Australian citizens or permanent residents. In the current financial year there are 57,400 visa places available under the Australia Family Visa Migration stream. The Family Visa category mainly includes the Partner visa, including Spouse, De facto Partner and Fiance (Engagement / Prospective Marriage) visa as well as Child, Parent, Carer and Remaining Relative visa. Some visas are queued and capped, which means that no further visas can be granted in a given financial year once the specific visa class has reached the planning levels set up by the Australian Immigration Minister.
Thinking of moving to Australia to join your family under Family Visa Australia stream?
We have many years of hands experience in obtaining Family Visa for Australia for clients who have family that are citizens or permanent residents of Australia, these include the following:
- Partner & Spouse Visa (including those in same-sex relationships)
- Prospective Marriage Visa
- Parent Visa
- Child Visa
- Remaining Relative Visa
- Aged Dependent Relative Visa
Family Visa Australia – Partner visa
For information on visa under the Partner category please refer to our Partner visa page here.
Family Visa Australia – Parent visa
The Parent visa is another Australian Visa category which falls under the Australia Family Visa stream. The Parent visa is for eligible Parents wishing to move to Australia to join their children who reside in Australia.
The Parent visa category is made up predominantly by two groups:
- Contributory Parent visa (Temporary and/or Permanent) – this visa is available to parents whose children are Permanent Residents, Australian Citizens or Eligible New Zealand Citizens. Applicants must meet the balance of family test which requires a majority or equal number of children to be residents in Australia and holders of a suitable visa or Australian passport. Applicants must meet other visa criteria such as having passed a health and character test. Sponsors (Children or an organisation) must lodge an Assurance of Support bond as part of application. Assurance of Support is a legal commitment to repay social security payments should they be claimed by the applicants during the assurance period. A Contributory Parent visa application is relatively costly and might take 2 to 4 years to process. Depending on the subclass, successful applicants are granted either a temporary or permanent visa which would come with no work restrictions.
- Parent visa – as above, applicants must meet the balance of family test and must be sponsored by an eligible Australian child who is a holder of a Permanent Visa, Australian passport or who meet the Eligible New Zealand Citizen definition. A Parent visa, including Aged Parent visas are queued and capped. As a result, the average processing times for those applications is 30 years.
Family Visa Australia- Child Visa
A Child visa is for applicant who wishes to Emigrate to Australia and who is:
- a dependent child of an Australian Permanent resident, Australian Citizen or Eligible New Zealand Citizen ( Child Visa).
- a child adopted by an Australian Permanent resident, Australian Citizen or Eligible New Zealand Citizen ( Adoption Visa).
- a child whose parents are either deceased, permanently incapacitated or of an unknown whereabouts and the child is sponsored by an Australia relative (Orphan Relative visa).
Family Visa Australia – Remaining Relative visa
Applicants applying under the Remaining Relative visa must not have any near relatives apart from those in Australia who are Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens. For the purpose of this visa Australian relatives includes a brother, sister, child or step equivalent. A near relative is a parent, sibling, non-dependent child or step equivalent (whether in contact or not).
As those visas are subject to cap and queue provision, the current processing times for those visas is approximately 50 years.
Family Visa Australia – Aged Dependent Relative Visa
This visa is designed for those applicants who are dependent on an Australian relative (child, parent, brother or sister, grandchild, uncle or aunt, niece or nephew, or step-relative equivalent). The applicant must be of “pension age” which is determined by the Australian Department of Social Services.
As those visas are subject to cap and queue provisions, the current processing times for those visas are approximately 50 years.
Applicants applying for the Family visa stream must meet the health and character test along with other requirements as applicable to the relevant visa subclass.
If you are considering moving to Australia under one of the above Family Visa Australia streams and wish to discuss your case and how we can help, please fill in the form on the right hand side or simply email us email@example.com or call our London office on 020 7427 5290.
Emigrate to Australia is part of Taylor Hampton Solicitors, a SRA regulated law firm based in the UK. We are not part of the Australian Immigration and Border Protection Department. We offer visa advice and assistance with the Australian visa application process.